I edit my story in Scrivener. When you tally up your total word count, you have the option of only counting the sections you have marked for inclusion in your compile (when you export to another programme to prepare for submission, or e-book creation). This is handy, as I have been known to keep “Notes” files alongside my scenes for compile. Scrivener also has a “Research” folder where you can keep all your prep files – character studies, setting descriptions, images, etc. Within my Research folder, I’m also keeping my “sandbox” scenes, where I play with alternatives before deciding whether or not to commit them to the compile version.
So, my new version of Chapter One was one of these sandbox files until last week some time. So, I moved the old Chapter One to my Research folder, and my new one into the Draft folder. But, I forgot to mark it to be included in the compile. What a difference that little check-mark makes. Now, all of a sudden, I have more like 46,000 words in my draft. Wow. That feels like a lot. Almost 50% if I was planning a 100,000 word story … which I was to begin with, but I doubt I’ll be able to tie it up by then, so I’ve set it to a 120,000 word goal for the time being. 46K-odd words still feels good.